Ian Gorman Memorial Trophy Final

Ian Gorman Memorial Trophy 2019. 

Billingham The Merlin line up before the kick off of the Ian Gorman Memorial Trophy against Stockton Sun Inn on Sunday 12 May 2019 at Thornaby F.C

Stockton Sun Inn line up before the kick off against Billingham The Merlin.

Match Officials for the Ian Gorman Memorial Trophy 2019, Callum Donnelly (centre) Geoff Mann (right) and Matthew Carroll (left)

Match Officials and captains await the toss.

The final of the Ian Gorman Memorial Trophy was played between the Premiership runners-up Billingham The Merlin and first division runners-up Billingham The Merlin last Sunday and a tight game followed.  The first chance fell to Billingham The Merlin on 16 minutes when a 20 yard free kick from skipper Stewart Bath just missed the outside of the post.  Three minutes later Sun Inn had the ball in the net but they were flagged offside.  Billingham The Merlin went up the other end and a poor back pass saw Mikey McGee round the keeper but his effort rolled across the goal.  On 39 minutes Billingham The Merlin had a goal disallowed when McGee was flagged offside.  Billingham The Merlin took the lead on the stroke of half time when a long ball over top from Stewart Bath found McGee who calmly lobbed the advancing keeper for 1-0 and half time.  The second half saw Sun Inn grab the equaliser on 52 minutes when Jamie Roberts twisted and turned in the penalty area before firing home.  Five minutes late and Steven Carberry had a good chance for Sun Inn but saw his shot pushed around the post by Merlin keeper Spencer Nicholson.  On 56 minutes and Nicholson was in action again this time tipping a Luke Croft effort over the bar and from the resulting corner Merlin broke and Sun Inn keeper Charlie Bradley was called into action when he had to react to a fierce back pass and palmed the ball for a corner.  Bradley was action again on 83rdminute when he saved a one on one from Mikey McGee and the game ended all square and so to penalties.  The first eight penalties were all scored but Sun Inn missed their fifth leaving Billingham The Merlin to score and win the game which they duly converted.

Billingham The Merlin show off the Ian Gorman Memorial Trophy to team-mates after presentation by League Chairman Peter Mack.


Division Two Trophy Sunday 5 May 2019

Division Two Cup Final

 Borowalkers F.C line-up before kick off against Yarm Athletic F.C

Yarm Athletic F.C line-up before the kick-off against Borowalkers F.C

Match officials for the Division two cup final, referee Mark Bond (centre) assistants Ted Popple (right) and Kevin Blackburn (left) with the two captains.

The second division cup final took place on Sunday between the league winner Borowalkers and Yarm Athletic at Thornaby F.C and it was Borowalkers who completed a league and cup double winning 5-1.  It took Borowalkers just four minutes to open the scoring when Elliot May headed home a right wing cross however two minutes later and Yarm hit back and were level when a free kick from the left wing was headed back across goal and Aaron Naqui fired home.  Both teams strived to get a grip on the game and eventually Borowalkers regained the lead on 27 minutes when May rifled home into the top corner of the net from 20 yards and then two minutes later a long ball over the top saw the Yarm Athletic keeper come out to clear the ball but made a hash leaving Lewis Robertson with an empty net to make the score 3-1.  In the second half May completed his hat-trick when he drilled the ball home from the edge of the area on 64 minutes and Isam Benomran added a fifth on 67 minutes when he volleyed home from 18 yards following a crossfield pass from May.  An entertaining game that saw Borowalkers as the winners but Yarm Athletic battled to the end and they were a credit to themselves never letting their heads drop.

 League Chairman Peter Mack presented the Division Two cup (sponsored by A1 Trophies) to Borowalkers captain Robert O’Connor.

 Borowalkers F.C celebrating their Division Two cup victory.


John Jackson Memorial Trophy 2019.

John Jackson Memorial Trophy Cup Final

Portrack F.C line-up before kick off against Billingham The Merlin

Billingham The Merlin line-up before kick off against Portrack F.C

Match Officials for the John Jackson Memorial Trophy final, centre referee Jamie Cann, left Neil Lonsdale and right Andrew Broadbent.

Friday night(3 May 2019) saw the John Jackson Memorial Trophy take place at Thornaby F.C between premiership champions Portrack and runners-up Billingham The Merlin and it was Portrack who edged the game by the odd goal in five.  It took Portrack only three minutes to open the scoring when a sweeping move from Harrison Davies saw the ball played out wide and crossed into the middle and found Jake Large in the box and he made no mistake. Portrack nearly scored a second on nine minutes when a left wing corner was scrambled off the line for another corner.  Billingham The Merlin had their first chance on 14 minutes when Guy Craggs saved and Steven Pickard followed up but the ball was cleared for a corner.  Mikey McGee for Billingham The Merlin was causing problems for the Portrack defence as he twisted and turned and on 37 minutes saw his effort well saved by Craggs.  Billingham The Merlin grabbed an equaliser on 41 minutes when the Portrack defence failed to clear the ball and Stewart Bath fired home from the edge of the area.  The second half was fairly even as both sides strived to take control and it was Portrack who gained the advantage when a long throw from Danny Rowbotham found Danny Dawson who fired home for 2-1.  In the 71st minute Ricky Dull broke through the Merlin defence only to be brought down just inside the box and Gareth Poole stepped up and fired home the resulting penalty.  Billingham The Merlin hit back and on 78 minutes a long ball into the box found Steven Pickard who saw his effort hot the bar and was cleared.  As Merlin pressed they were rewarded on 84 minutes when McGee was found inside the box and he turned and fired home for 3-2, Portrack held on and saw the game out.

The winning Portrack squad and management team.


Match Report 28 April 2019

 PH Elmtree line up before the final of the Steven Wells Memorial Trophy.

Stockton Sun Inn line up before the final of the Steven Wells Memorial Trophy.

The Steven Wells Memorial Trophy match officials, centre referee Matthew Smith, assistants, left Jack Arrowsmith and right Andrew Rice.

Last Sunday saw the first cup final of the season when Stockton Sun Inn runners-up in division one met PH Elmtree the division one champions in the Steven Wells Memorial Trophy (Division One cup) at Thornaby F.C.  The match saw Stockton Sun Inn come out on top winning 3-0, a victory they thoroughly deserved.  Top scorer Jamie Roberts opened the scoring in the first half and that was the only goal going into the interval.  The second half saw Stockton Sun Inn add two further goals through Daniel McLay and Sonni Coleman to seal the victory.

 Stockton Sunday League President Derek Overton presents the Stephen Wells Memorial Trophy to Stockton Sun Inn captain Jordan Auckland.

 The winning Stockton Sun Inn squad and management following their Steven Wells Memorial Trophy victory.

RSD completed their fixtures in division one and finished the season in a creditable third place following their latest win 6-2 against Billingham The Kings thanks to a hat-trick from Wayne Flanagan and another hat-trick from substitute Kelvin Cardwell.  For Billingham The Kings the goals came from Peter Matthews and Daniel Liddle.  Elsewhere Stillington The Royal finished in fourth place following a 5-1 victory over Billingham Cowpen Club thanks to four goals from Billy Gatenby and one from substitute James Lile.

In Division Two the champions Borowalkers completed their first season in the league with an 8-0 win against Thornaby Sports & Leisure, Carl Robinson led the way with four goals assisted by Joe Scaife-Wheatley with two and one apiece from substitutes Lewis Robertson and Robert O’Connor. 


Match Report 21 April 2019

PH Elmtree secured the first division title with a 2-1 win over their nearest rivals Stockton Sun Inn on a hot spring morning at Grangefield. It took just 51 seconds for PH Elmtree to open the scoring when a long throw was hurled into the penalty area and it was knocked done and Callum Westwood was on hand to fire home.  The same player had an excellent chance to double the lead on five minutes but fired wide.  The game became a midfield battle as neither side really created anything before the break.  In the 50th minute Stockton Sun Inn had a right wing corner which was well collected by Elmtree keeper Darren White who then launched the ball up field and this found Chris Stockton who latched onto the ball and drilled it home under the keeper for 2-0.  In the 71st minute Stockton Sun Inn were awarded a corner on the right, this was launched into the box and Charlie Inman outjumped everyone to head home for Sun Inn and set up a finale.  However PH Elmtree kept Stockton Sun Inn at bay and ran out 2-1 winners to clinch the title.

League Secretary Ken Clark presented the Division One trophy to PH Elmtree captain Danny Lawson.  

The two sides will meet again this Sunday in the final of the Steven Wells Memorial Trophy at Thornaby F.C kick off 10-30am.  Admission is £3 or £1 concessions.

The PH Elmtree squad following their division one title win.

Meanwhile in Division One Horse & Jockey entertained Stillington The Royal but slipped to a 5-2 defeat, scorers for Stillington The Royal were Billy Gatenby (2), Mark Ferguson, Aaron Rumble and substitute Andrew Blackburn and for Horse & Jockey the goals came from Chris Johnson and Daniel Horsley.

In Division Two Borowalkers were crowned champions following a 7-0 win against their closest rivals thanks to two goals each from Isam Benomran and Carl Robinson plus a goal each from Mason McNeil, Joe Forster and Elliot May.

The Borowalkers squad and management following their league title at the weekend.


Match Report 14 April 2019

Last weekend saw Yarm Albion entertain Yarm Athletic in a local derby with a lot riding on the game, more so for Yarm Albion who are chasing Borowalkers at the top of the table.  It started badly for the home side when the visitors took the lead on 5 minutes when a right wing free kick to the far post was drilled home by David Higgins however Yarm Albion got back into the game with three quick goals, the first after 13 minutes when a cross from the right found Tom Atkinson who fired home and three minutes later the same player drilled a free kick home from 20 yards and then on 19 minutes Liam Southall scored from the edge of the area.  The game settles as both teams played some good football but it was Yarm Albion who extended their lead on 22 minutes when a shot from outside the box was parried by the Yarm Athletic keeper only for Luke Smithyman to follow up and tap home goal number four and that was how it remained up to half-time.  The second saw Yarm Athletic come more into the game as they gradually clawed their way back into the match, first Josh Larkin headed home a left wing cross on 53 minutes and then on 77 minutes he headed home a right wing cross to make the score 4-3.  However Yarm Albion hit straight back when Tom Atkinson outstripped the Yarm Athletic defence and slotted home number five and completed his hat-trick on 78 minutes.  Yarm Athletic scored again in the 89th minute when Matthew Crofts scored form 20 yards to set up a frantic finish.  An excellent game well played by both teams and well refereed by James Bancroft who was assisted by Matty Carroll and Steve Urwin, well done to all concerned.  Elsewhere in Division Two Borowalkers were 7-1 winners away to Marton Rovers to maintain their lead at the top of the table thanks to a hat-trick from Isam Benomran plus a goal each from Elliot May, Joe Forster, Lewis Robertson and Connor Johnson.

In the semi-final of the Ian Gorman Memorial Trophy Billingham The Merlin entertained premiership champions Portrack and were rewarded with a 4-1 victory thanks to a hat-trick from Mikey McGee and one goal from Jake Stott and for Portrack their goal was scored by substitute James Dawson.  Billingham The Merlin will now meet Stockton Sun Inn in the final at Thornaby on the 12 May 2019.

In Division One PH Elmtree strengthened their grip at the top of the table following a 3-0 home win against Stillington The Royal with goals from John James, Ian Durant and Rory Sawyer meanwhile rivals Stockton Sun Inn could only draw with RSD leaving PH Elmtree needing a point to win the league.  RSD started strongly and built up a two goal lead thanks to Wayne Flanagan but Stockton Sun Inn hit back to level the scores through Carl Stonehouse and Charlie Inman.  Horse & Jockey continued their recent good form with a 5-1 win at home to St Marys 1947 Sunday thanks to two goals from Daniel Horsley and one each for Andrew Armstrong, Matthew Snowdon and substitute Kye Hutchinson whilst Chris Taylor replied for St Marys 1947 Sunday.


Match Report 7 April 2019

The Premier Division concluded last Sunday with Portrack already crowned champions hosted Norton Village Club and slipped to a 5-2 defeat; this win for Norton Village Club was well deserved.   There was a hat-trick from Ryan Watson and one goal for Matthew Watson plus an own goal from Portrack skipper Danny Dawson.  Goals for the Portrack came from a Gareth Poole second half penalty and Ricky Dull added a second late in the game.  Meanwhile Billingham The Merlin secured runners-up spot with a 5-1 win away to Thornaby Oddfellows thanks to a hat-trick from Mark Dixon and a goal each from Stewart Bath and Mark Lilley, Charlie Raby scored the only goal for Thornaby Oddfellows.

Portrack F.C Premier Division Champions 2018-2019

In the Division Two cup semi-final Yarm Athletic progressed to the final following a 3-0 win against Thornaby Park thanks to two goals from Joshua Larkin plus an own goal.  Yarm Athletic will not play Borowalkers in the final on the 5 May 2019 at Thornaby F.C

In Division Two Yarm Albion moved level on points with Borowalkers but have played a game more following a 3-0 home win against Marton Rovers.  Goals from Ashley Trodden, Conna Merryweather and Bradley Heads set up the victory.  Borowalkers were 3-0 winners at home to Riverside thanks to a hat-trick from Isan Benomran.  Middlesbrough Rovers entertained Parkwood but slipped to a narrow 2-1 defeat, Parkwood’s goals coming from Sean Fowler and Mark Blowes. 

In Division One St Marys 1947 Sunday hosted RSD and the teams shared five goals but it was the visitors who shaded the tie thanks to goals from Liam Davis, Wayne Flanagan and Andrew Morgan, for St Marys 1947 Sunday the goals came from Christopher Waites and Joshua O’Donoghue.  Elsewhere Stillington The Royal defeated Thornaby Roundel 5-0 thanks to two goals from Billy Gatenby plus one each from Mark Ferguson, Marlon Balechi and substitute Aaron Sinclair.


Match Report 24 March 2019

The first semi-final of the Ian Gorman Memorial Trophy took place at Tilery last Sunday between first division sides PH Elmtree and Stockton Sun Inn in a game played under windy conditions.  Stockton Sun Inn had the benefit of the wind in the first half and took the lead through Charlie Inman, PH Elmtree hit back and were awarded a penalty when Steven Roberts was brought down but the resulting kick was high and wide.  Stockton Sun Inn made the most of the wind and added a second before half time from James Ward.  PH Elmtree enjoyed the benefit of the wind behind them and dominated the second half eventually pulling a goal back from substitute Ian Evans, this gave PH Elmtree the incentive to push on which they did but could not find a way through the Sun Inn defence for the equaliser.  About ten minutes from time Sun Inn had a rare foray into the Elmtree half and were rewarded with a third goal from Daniel McLay, PH Elmtree were not to be outdone and went up the other end and John James scored to set up a frantic finale but it was too little too late as time ran out and Stockton Sun Inn booked their place in the Ian Gorman Memorial Trophy final, opponents as yet unknown.

In the quarter final premiership Billingham The Merlin entertained first division Horse & Jockey and they ran out comfortable 8-0 winners. There was a hat-trick from Jake Stott, two goals from Nathan Bayes and one from James McLeod and one each from substitutes Bradley Popple and Elliot Pledger.  Meanwhile in the other outstanding quarter final tie Stillington The Royal entertained premiership champions Portrack but it was the visitors who came out on top winning 5-0 thanks to two goals each from Jonathan McLone and Ricky Dull plus one from Gareth Poole, this sets up a semi-final tie between Billingham The Merlin and Portrack for a place in the final.

In the Division Two cup semi-final Yarm Albion entertained the leaders Borowalkers at Conyers School and it was the visitors who booked a place in the final with a narrow 2-1 victory thanks to goals from Carl Robinson and Elliot May whilst for Yarm Albion the goal came from Thomas Atkinson.

In the Premier Division there was only one fixture as Thornaby Oddfellows entertained Norton Village Club and the teams shared eight goals but Norton Village Club scored five to set up the win.  Norton Village Club goals came from Glenn Corkain and Ryan Watson both scoring twice and one for Aidan Cattermole whilst for Thornaby Oddfellows the goals came from Benjamin Kerry, Charlie Raby and Joe Carter.

In Division One Village Park Rangers completed their season with a 2-0 home win against Billingham Cowpen Club thanks to goals from Karl Charlton and Gavin Robson.  Karl Charlton ended the season with 49 goals in league and cup fixtures, he also recorded 10 man of the match awards.

In Division Two there was only one fixture when Thornaby Park entertained Yarm Athletic in a preview of their forthcoming semi-final tie this time Thornaby Park edged the game 1-0 thanks to the only goal of the game from Leon Roddam.


Match Report 17 March 2019

Due to heavy rain Friday and Saturday only two fixtures were possible last weekend both in division two, in the first Thornaby Sports & Leisure and Eaglescliffe switched their game from Harold Wilson to Acklam Green Centre all weather pitch. Eaglescliffe started the better of the two sides and took the lead through Ryan Blight who latched onto a through ball and calmly slotted home.  Eaglescliffe increased their lead through man of the match Adam Thompson when he headed home, the seemed to have settled but were pegged back when Thornaby Sports & Leisure scored to make it 2-1 however a free kick from outside the box from Matthew Purcell sailed over the Thornaby Sports & Leisure wall and into the top corner leaving the keeper helpless.

 In the other Yarm Albion agreed to switch their league game with The Queen Vic to Tilery but the weather struck and the game was switched to the 3G at North Shore where Yarm Albion ran out comfortable 7-1 winners thanks to four goals from Thomas Atkinson and a hat-trick from James Plumb with Lee Tait scoring for The Queen Vic.  This latest win leaves Yarm Albion three points behind the leaders Borowalkers with four games remaining and still have play each other again in the league and cup.


Match Report 10 March 2019

The Premiership title was settled on Sunday when Billingham The Merlin entertained Portrack at Bede College and it was the visitors who triumphed 2-1 to lift the title.  A penalty in the first half from Gareth Poole and a second in the second half from Jake Large saw the Portrack home.  However a late goal from James McLeod set up a nervy finish but Portrack remained strong and resolute and saw the game out.

In the Ian Gorman Memorial Trophy quarter final tie premiership Norton George & Dragon entertained first division leaders PH Elmtree and suffered a massive 6-0 defeat thanks to a hat-trick from Chris Stockton and two goals from Callum Westwood plus one from Steven Roberts.  PH Elmtree will now meet first division rivals Stockton Sun Inn in the semi-final.

In Division One Village Park Rangers entertained Stillington The Royal and the teams shared nine goals and it was the visitors who edged the game by the odd goal.  Scorers for Village Park Rangers were Karl Charlton (2) and Gavin Robson and Russell Cowan whilst Marlon Baleci scored twice for Stillington The Royal plus goals from Mark Ferguson, Billy Gatenby and Chris Upton.  Meanwhile RSD and Horse & Jockey shared six goals and the points when they met at Tilery, RSD goals saw Liam Davis score twice with one for Wayne Flanagan and for Horse & Jockey the goals came from Andrew Armstrong, Christopher Lambert and Matthew Snowdon.  Stockton Sun Inn entertained Thornaby Roundel and ran out 8-3 winners with a hat-trick from Carl Stonehouse, two goals from Jamie Roberts and one each from Sam Higgins, Jordan Auckland and substitute Luke Croft meanwhile for Thornaby Roundel Mark Graham, Peter Oldfield and Daniel Longley were the goal scorers.

In Division Two leaders Borowalkers were away to bottom of the table The George Pub & Grill who could only muster 10 players and it showed as Borowalkers ran out 13-1 winners with their goals coming from Carl Robinson (4), Lewis Robertson (2) plus a goal each from Isam Benomran. Elliot May plus substitutes Liam McCarten, Mason McNeil, Nic Rodgers and Shaun Smith with Anthony Carter scoring for The George Pub & Grill.  Parkwood entertained Eaglescliffe at Yarm Road and won by the odd goal in three with goals from Sean Fowler and Daniel Calvert whilst Tommy Leech scored for Eaglescliffe.  Thornaby Sports & Leisure edged Thornaby Park by the odd goal in seven in a local derby as they ran out 4-3 winners at Harold Wilson.  Goals from David Stewart (2), Andrew Bollands and substitute Matthew May set up the victory whilst Luke Conn, Christopher Fairless and Dominic Halliday replied for Thornaby Park.