DFA Sunday Cup & Stephen Wells Memorial Trophy Reports

Hardwick Social Club completed a cup double last Sunday when they finally got their hands on the Durham FA Sunday Cup after being beaten finalist’s for the last three years and five times in total with a 4-0 defeat of Newton Aycliffe Locomotion.  Newton Aycliffe kicked off the final which was a repeat of two years ago and the opening exchanges were fairly even however Hardwick opened the scoring on 17 minutes when Chris Stockton broke down the left wing and his cross found Nathan Mulligan on the edge of the box and he fired home giving the keeper no chance.  Hardwick then had chances to extend their lead on 21 minutes when Jamie Owens was played into the box but he miss controlled the ball then a minute later Joe Carter made a break down the right wing and played in Sonni Coleman who saw his shot rattle the crossbar and out of play.  Two minutes later and Hardwick extended their lead when a long ball out of defence was chased down by Coleman who outstripped the Aycliffe defence and coolly slotted home.  On 38 minutes Aycliffe had their first real chance but Michael Arthur saved a weak effort then right on half time a right wing corner for Aycliffe was met by an Aycliffe head but Craig Bishop headed positioned on the post headed over the bar.  In the second half it was soon 3-0 when Chris Stockton robbed a defender around the half way line and ran through on goal and calmly slotted home.  Minutes later and Jamie Owens was brought down in the penalty area and he picked himself up but put his spot kick wide.  On 59 minutes Kallum Hannah replaced Chris Stockton and was soon in the action a minute later when his left wing cross found Jamie Owens at the far post but his headed went just over the bar.  Hardwick then made a number of substitutions but this didn’t stop then pushing forward and on 78 minutes another left wing cross from Kallum Hannah was this time volleyed home by Jamie Owens for number four and Hardwick saw out time to the final whistle.

The teams line up for the Stephen Wells Memorial Trophy Final at Thornaby F.C on Friday 12 May 2017

Jolly Farmers F.C 


Nifco UK F.C 

Match Officials

On Friday 12 May first division Jolly Farmers met second division Nifco UK in the final of the Stephen Wells Memorial Trophy at Thornaby F.C.  The opening 20 minutes were fairly even as both sides strived to take control of the game.  It was Jolly Farmers who on 22 minutes took the lead when Daniel Smith took a free kick from 25 yards that saw the Nifco goalkeeper get his hands to the ball but was unable to prevent the ball going into the goal.  Minutes later a mix-up in the Nifco defence allowed Charlie Iveson to head into an empty net, Jolly Farmers by now were enjoying the upper hand and played with more freedom and extended their lead further when Charlie Iveson was brought down in the box and Connor Hardman stepped up to fire home after 32 minutes.  Five minutes later it was 4-0 when a long range shot was parried by the keeper but Rory McCabe was on hand to tap into an empty net.  The second half saw Jolly Farmers continue to push forward and nearly extended their lead when the Nifco keeper played a short ball to a defender who was robbed but to his credit the Nifco keeper then saved twice from close range efforts as the ball went out for a corner.  On the hour a mazy run from Charlie Iveson saw his cross deflected into the net by a Nifco defender for number five and six minutes later Jolly Farmers were awarded a second penalty after Nigel Wilks was adjudged to have handled the ball on the floor and Brian Johnson stepped up to fire home.  Nifco then had a real chance to score when there forward went one on one with Liam McSweeney the Jolly Farmers keeper but the keeper thwarted the attempt.  Jolly Farmers wrapped up the scoring when a left wing cross from Daniel Smith was headed home by substitute Arran Scott.  League Chairman Peter Mack presented the trophy and medals to the teams and match officials.  

League Chairman Peter Mack presented trophy to Brian Johnson captain of Jolly Farmers winners of the Stephen Wells Memorial Trophy Final.

League Chairman also presented match referee Oliver Aithwaite with the Stockton Sunday League Young Referee of the Year trophy following the final.