Match Report 12 March 2017

Hardwick Social Club travelled to Guiseley AFC’s Nethermoor Park for the semi-final of the All England Sunday Cup against Home & Bargains from the Liverpool Business Houses Sunday League.  The first opportunity fell to Hardwick Social Club when Jamie Owens hit the bar after nine minutes.  The game was a tight affair with both sides striving to produce an opening and Home & Bargains took the lead on 40 minutes when Hardwick lost the ball just inside their own half and their forward wriggled through the defence and fired home.  In the second half Hardwick Social Club probed for the equaliser and went close on 55 minutes when Jamie Poole hit the post and on 63 minutes a Home & Bargains player was dismissed for a high boot on Chris Stockton.  Chris Stockton received lengthy treatment on the pitch and thanks go to Home & Bargains physio who stepped in and treated Stockton.  However he had to leave the field and was replaced by Kallum Hannah.  On 73 minutes Hardwick made a double change with Steven Roberts and Sonni Coleman coming on for Craig Bishop and Joe Carter as they pushed forward looking for the elusive equaliser.  It came on 81 minutes when Jamie Owens controlled the ball and fired home and four minutes later the same player was in the right place to head home a Jamie Poole cross to give Hardwick the lead and send their supporters into raptures.  Hardwick sealed the tie on 89 minutes when a cross field pass found Kallum Hannah in acres of space on the left and he raced forward and drilled the ball home for 3-1 and a complete turnaround.  Overall Hardwick Social Club deserved the victory and were wished well by their opponents at the end of the game.

Hardwick Social Club will now face New Salamis in the final; they are from London’s Kopa Sunday League and will be aiming to defend their title on 23 April 2017 at a venue to be decided.

In the Ian Gorman Memorial Trophy quarter final premiership Norton Red Lion entertained first division champions JFC United and it was the visitors who triumphed in a high scoring game eventually winning 7-5.  There were two goals each for Junior Masandi, Vasile Bucuresteanu and Famara Jatta and a goal from Yrus Kehi.  For Norton Red Lion Matthew Watson scored twice plus a goal each for Ryan Watson, Jamie Barton and Bradley Murray.  In an all second division quarter final RSD were at home to second division leaders South Bank but it was the visitors who came out on top winning 5-1 with two goals each for Anthony Barnes and Graeme Watson plus one from Isam Benomran whilst Liam Davis replied for RSD.  South Bank are now at home to Thornaby Oddfellows in the semi-final.

In the Stephen Wells Memorial Trophy second round Jolly Farmers and Thornaby Aerodrome Club met again as in the first game that they drew extra time was not played, this time Jolly Farmers came out on top 2-1 with goals from Charlie Iveson and Matthew Robson and for Thornaby Aerodrome Club Luke Conn was the scorer.  Jolly Farmers will play second division RSD in the quarter finals.  In a quarter final tie second division Marton Rovers hosted first division Thornaby Roundel and it was the visitors who progressed to the semi-finals with a 7-4 victory.  There was a hat-trick for Dhanish Hussain and two goals for Daniel Longley plus a goal apiece from Joe Canwell and Liam Tarling and for Marton Rovers Andrew Townsend scored twice plus a goal each from Kevin Young and Lee Wright.  Thornaby Roundel will now play Nifco UK in the semi-final.

In the Premier Division Thornaby Village entertained Billingham The White House and the game ended all square at 2-2 with Thornaby Village scoring a dramatic last minute equaliser, Thornaby Village goals from Karl Charlton and Mark Ferguson and for Billingham The White House Bryan Stewart and Mark Lilley were the scorers.  Norton George & Dragon entertained Thornaby Oddfellows and it was the visitors who came out on top winning 5-3 thanks to a hat-trick from Glenn Corkain and a goal each for Andrew Dinsdale and Arron Brookbanks and for Norton George & Dragon the scorers were Christopher Burton, Joel Callender and Liam Blyth.

In Division One Fairfield Sports & Social Club were at home to Stockton Five Alls and ran out 3-1 winners with goals from Carl Dinsdale, Christopher Lambert and Matthew Snowdon and Jamie Roberts replied for Stockton Five Alls.  The only other game saw Doctor McGonicles defeat St Marys College 5-1 with a hat-trick for Daniel McLay and two goals for Chrissy Skipper.

In Division Two Nifco UK switched the game against Thornaby Sports & Leisure to Harold Wilson as there pitch was unplayable at Conyers School and it was Thornaby Sports & Leisure who came out on top 4-0 with two goals from Rhys Logan and one goal each from Jamie Butler and Anthony Wood.